Studying for finals: how to prep

Studying for finals: how to prep

With finals coming up for first semester, students tend to have different studying methods and different ways to prepare for their finals. Freshman or other students who are looking for a strong method of studying can find tips from teachers and other students to help them prepare for this semester’s final exams.

To break down the system, finals are scheduled for three days.   If you happen to have three finals one the same day, talk to your teacher about moving a final to another day; this way you can evenly spread out your finals and might have more time to study for them.

To prepare for finals, it is highly recommend you give yourself time to meet with your teachers.  If you are given a study guide or review packet, work on it and review it with your teacher. They genuinely love seeing their students coming in for help, and will do their best to help prepare you for the final. Lindsey Takaoka (12) believes that meeting with teachers is very important throughout the year, and especially towards finals.

“Meeting with certain teachers opened up a new world for me. I highly recommend seeing your teachers whenever you can, and they love when you come in.” said Takaoka.  Also, if you are the type of person who doesn’t have much time during school to meet your teachers, the Monday before finals, usually a large number of teachers will go to the Aspen Library for last minute studying. There, they can help you prepare as well.

Due to the fact that finals are scheduled before winter break rather than after, it is important to manage your time, especially the week before finals. Although students still may have last minute tests and quizzes, it’s a good idea to pick a day of the week to study for a certain subject. Riann Newland (11) said it’s important to spread out your studying schedule, so you aren’t cramming in each subject in the same day.  

“I usually write out a layout for each day of the week, and write down what subject I am going to study for what day. I also usually stay home the weekend before finals, and study for most of the day.  I think this is the best way to prepare,” said Newland.  

Another tip for study for finals digitally is using Quizlet. Quizlet is a website with digital notecards that can be premade or made by you. You also have the ability to test your knowledge by taking tests with your digital cards to improve your memory, which is not something you can do with paper note cards. Quizlet is generally recommended by most teachers because not only does it improve your memory, it’s quicker and easier to do flashcards on a computer than to hand-write everything on notecards that you’re just going to throw away after finals.  Another digital way to study for finals is by searching Youtube videos. Crash Course is generally a good channel for explanation of a certain subject, especially for AP students.    

If you are not using technology to help study for your final, turn it off!  It’s hard to multitask studying with social media, so the best thing to do is put your technology away. Phones, computers, or even TV can be an easy distraction, especially while studying multiple hours for finals. Kathy Chen (12) takes this method to the extreme, by deleting all her social media apps on her phone before she begins studying for finals.  

“I know it’s a difficult thing to do, but it’s honestly the best way to get me to stay off my phone.  It’s rewarding after finals when I am able to re-download my apps again.  Believe me, the overall process is hard,” said Chen.

Finals is definitely something students tend not to look forward to, but with the right studying method and allowing yourself enough time, finals should be a little less painful to take.  Good luck!