The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

No more New Year’s resolutions?

VHHS students split on New Year’s traditions

New Year’s resolutions are almost made to be broken. Only 22% of members continue going to the gym after a year of membership, according to a study conducted by researcher Matthew Rand of the University of Sheffield and his associates published in the New York Post

In a survey of 81 VHHS students, 53.1% of students said they keep resolutions. The most common resolutions included working out more, better time management, and getting better sleep. 

Ori Marx (11) makes New Year’s resolutions every year to better his work ethic. 

“I feel like a lot of people make a lot of unrealistic New Year’s resolutions,” Marx said. “Realistic resolutions can help you achieve your goals, so I do believe they are important to keep.”

Marx’s resolution revolves around working hard in school, a goal he has had for the past couple years.

“I just want to keep a good GPA through high school so I can feel good about my grades,” Marx said. 

Aldahir Flores (12) has similar resolutions revolving around his academics, but included making time to enjoy life outside of school.

“My New Year’s resolution is to graduate high school, commit to a school I actually like, and live these past couple months as a teenager before becoming an adult, [spending time with] my friends as much as possible this summer,” he said.

Flores believes that resolutions are important for people to keep.

“It’s important to grow as a person, at least by a bit, because not everyone’s perfect,” he said. 

Rhea Narasimhan (12) has made resolutions that stem from her taking a new class, glass art.

“My New Year’s resolution is to expand my hobbies and interests,” she said. “I want to make different kinds of jewelry this year.”

Flores believes he is capable of consistently following through with his resolutions. 

“I keep reminding myself every morning of the goals I have to look forward to and what’s at stake just to continue on what I’m working on,” he said. 

46.9% of VHHS student survey respondents said they do not make resolutions.

36 respondents felt that resolutions are becoming obsolete, describing them as irrelevant, unnecessary, and too ambitious. 

Instead, many reported they create smaller goals instead of waiting for the New Year to start self-improvement. 

Noa Rauchholz (9) doesn’t usually make New Year’s resolutions, but rather makes more general goals for the year.

“My ‘resolutions’ are mostly just trying to improve my character: be more patient, work more diligently and organized, don’t be too tense…be faithful, be kind, loving, [and] patient,” said Rauchholz. 

Rauchholz explained that the people around her motivate her to follow her goals. 

“My motivation, I’d say, is not really high. God and my family are a significant part of trying to follow through on a goal,” said Rauchholz.