Student spotlight: Joe Lee, soccer star

Joe Lee (12) runs up and down the soccer field, enjoying and savoring every minute of the match. After a lively game, the referee blows the whistle to signal the game is over. Lee and his teammates break out into celebration, because they just won the U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championship–an accomplishment that few experience in a lifetime. Seeded eighth out of 24 teams, Lee and his team accomplished what they thought was unthinkSwag_Joe_Pictureable.

“When I looked around I just couldn’t believe I was there,” Lee said. “No one expected us to win.”

Lee started playing soccer at church at age seven. Realizing he wanted to continue playing soccer at a higher level, he moved on to a more competitive program to help further improve his skills. To do this, he joined a travel soccer team with the Greater Libertyville Soccer Association  (GLSA). Lee’s love for the game kept him motivated to stick with the sport for so many years.

“I like how it’s a team sport,” said Lee, “because you have to work together with your teammates if you want to do well [and] be part of something bigger than yourself.”

When Lee turned 15, he moved on to play for the Chicago Fire Academy, a highly selective program that allows teenagers to play for free in hopes of creating future Chicago Fire team members. This was a bigger commitment, so it took up a lot of Lee’s free time.

“His career has consisted of him coming home from school, leaving immediately to drive 1-2 hours for soccer practice in rush hour traffic, and coming home around eight or nine to finish his homework,” said Lee’s older sister, Esther. “[He has had] to eat many meals on the go and miss a lot of time hanging out with his friends. Most of his weekends were spent playing games and traveling to many areas across, and sometimes, out of the country for tournaments.”

This past summer, his Chicago Fire team played in the national playoffs in Indiana. They moved on from playoffs and played in the finals in California. Then, the team progressed even further to compete in the national championship, where they played Real Salt Lake and won 3-1.

“I was extremely happy for him, because this was something on his heart for a long time, and he was finally able to achieve this dream with his teammates,” said Esther Lee. “It took a long time for it to sink in for me personally and to understand what it might mean to my brother to be on a national championship team.”

After his exciting summer, Lee joined the Vernon Hills team for the first time. He had wanted to play soccer for the school for the past three years, but the schedule of his Chicago Fire team was too demanding. After tryouts, he made varsity and realized that playing for school is very different from the club soccer environment he is used to.

“It was a different experience playing for school instead of a club team,” Lee said. “I cared more, because these are people I grew up with and I’m playing with them.”

The boys’ varsity team ended up going to the regional championship and winning for the second time in the past two years. The team also succeeded in breaking Vernon Hills records for the most goals scored and the most shut-out wins.

“He’s going to know that he can bring his grandkids back, and say ‘Look at that regional platform, I was apart of that team.’ It’s special,” said Mike McCaulou, varsity boys’ soccer coach.

Lee was the first soccer player in Vernon Hills history to win All-State with the Illinois High School Soccer Coaches Association (IHSSCA). The state of Illinois is split into multiple sections, which contain multiple high schools that all state athletes can be chosen from, and was evaluated by coaches from all sections.

“Essentially, out of about 600 kids, [Joe] was ranked one of the top five. He was nominated by all the coaches in our section,” McCaulou said.  “Everybody that we played against probably went, ‘Wow, number 10 is incredible.’”

Lee was also named a state scholar by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). This honor goes to students who score in the top fifth percentile on College Entrance Exams, and rank in the top half of his/her graduating class. The means that, despite Lee’s busy schedule, he was able to maintain good grades and test scores to be able to win this award.

“He is a well-rounded athlete and student, and was able to stay committed to his schoolwork, while juggling different responsibilities as an athlete,” said E. Lee.

Lee hopes to continue his soccer career and education at Brown University in the fall. He aspires to make a career out of soccer, with his ultimate goal being to play in the World Cup one day.