“Promposals” at VHHS

Facebook

Lewandowski (12) and Conte (12) after a successful promposal.

With prom coming up in a little under a month, the ‘promposals’ have begun.  For those who are unfamiliar with the term, Urban Dictionary defines ‘promposal’ as “a proposal from one person asking another person to the prom; the combination of the words ‘prom’ and ‘proposal.’”  Many students are stressed over who, when, and how to ask someone to prom.  Four Vernon Hills High School students have already been through the process and are sharing their experiences.

William Lewandowski (12) admitted, “I was very nervous.”  Lewandowski asked Kellie Conte (12) to prom in a very unique way.  He said, “I got my idea from multiple sources, including Pintrest and my co-workers.”  Lewandowski stated, “I had Mrs. Carroll say we are doing a review in class and then had her pass out scantrons. Kellie’s was filled out that said “Prom?” Then, I had Tyler Walls (12) grab the poster, flowers and chocolate from the cabinet and [he] gave it to me. The poster said “I hope this meets your standards.  Will you go to…” Then I had a bouquet of roses with her favorite chocolate Reeses.”

Conte’s initial reaction: “At first, I thought Mrs. Carroll gave me the answer key, but then I actually looked at it and saw what it said. Then, I was extremely excited.”  Conte continued, “I thought that he had to have some major guts to ask me in front of the entire class, and I admire him for that.”  When asked what she was looking for in a ‘promposal,’ Conte responded, “I was hoping for something cute and original in a promposal.  I had no clue he was going to ask me. It was an amazing surprise!”

Sandri (12) and Frantz (12) enjoying the beach after their promposal.

Anthony Sandri (12) had a different idea in mind when asking Katie Frantz (12).  “We were in Hawaii on our Spring Break trip for band and we had some free time Tuesday night after dinner,” Sandri said. “With the help of Alison Dungca, I was able to get Katie onto the beach where I was sitting on my poster as though it were a towel.  I asked her what she thought of my ‘towel’ and lifted it up to show her the writing: “Katie Frantz, I’d swim the ocean blue if it meant being with you! What do you say we go make a splash at Prom this year?”

Sandri claimed he was not nervous when asking Frantz and knew she would say yes.  He said, “On the night before our flight, I spent a few hours trying to think of and design a poster, and finally I came up with my ‘ocean blue’ concept. It had a pun and a rhyme, so I knew it was golden.”

Frantz’s first thoughts on the promposal were about the poster.  “I was wondering if he bought and made it on the trip because poster board would have been really hard to come by where we were staying,” she said.  As for what she was looking for in a promposal, Frantz said she didn’t really care.  She said, “I didn’t really care as long as it wasn’t too embarrassing and didn’t demand a lot of effort on my part, which are my criteria for most things.”

Prom is a time for seniors to celebrate the end of their high school careers and to have a good time with their date.  Sandri believes the most important thing in a promposal is asking the right person.  “Asking someone to prom isn’t stressful as long as you choose the right person, a person who seems to be as interested in you as you are interested in him/her,” he said.  “The hard part is coming up with that idea with which you finally feel content; everything after that is easy.”

When you come up with the perfect promposal and ask your date, be sure to post it on Twitter with ‘#VHPROMPOSAL.’  Have a fun, safe prom VHHS!

Facebook