How to find the perfect roommate

Finding a roommate can be just as stressful as getting into college. Trusting yourself in using your best judgement to find a potential best friend for life is definitely nerve racking. But what gives us the advantage is the virtual world of Facebook and other social media which allow us to meet people all throughout the country and even the world. Here are some important tips into finding the perfect roommate.

Start Early

To prevent the stress of finding a last minute roommate, start early. Once you have decided on a college or are strongly considering one, join the Facebook page for that school. There should be a page for every school in the country, and this allows you to see a good hand full of students that will be attending your school.

Choose Someone Local

Grace Hutson (12) strongly recommends choosing a roommate around the area of where you live, that way when you want to come home from school, you will most likely always have someone to come home with.  

PICTURE CREDIT: LEE JUDILLA

“My roommate only lives a few miles away from me, so it’s easy to meet up with her whenever.  We never have trouble when making plans,” said Hutson. It’s also nice to have mutual friends with the person as well, as it is a good way of connecting.

It is also a good idea to post something about yourself on the Facebook page. Introduce yourself, what you like to do, what you are studying, and mention the fact that you are looking for a roommate. You should hear from people within the day in your message inbox, or you could message people you are interested in rooming with as well.

Also, don’t rush when finding a roommate. Give other potential roommates a chance as well, and get to know other people. It’s also important to not judge a book by its cover, and base your opinion on someone just on how they look. That person could have more in common with you than you think.

Meet In Person

Once you think you have found a good few potential roommates, it’s time to take it to the ultimate test, and meet them in person. Ask a few of them to go out to lunch or dinner. Lindsey Takaoka (12) thinks this is a very important step when finding a roommate because it shows the chemistry between you both, rather than over social media.  

PICTURE CREDIT: ABIGAIL EVANS

“When I first met a girl I planned on rooming with in person, it completely shocked me to see how different she actually was. Without meeting her in person, I probably would’ve never known that,” said Takaoka.  Without meeting the girl, Takaoka wouldn’t have found out that they didn’t have much in common. But remember, the first time can be nerve racking, just remember to stay calm, and be yourself because first impressions are always important.  I suggest wearing something presentable and cleaned up. It might not be as nerve racking if you and your potential roommate bring a friend along too just for the first time, so you are more comfortable as well as them.

Ask Questions

It’s also important to ask questions. Don’t hold back on this because it’s the only way you will really get to know this person. You could ask if they have any siblings, or if they have visited campus before as well as hobbies or even how they want their room set up for college to be.  You could also ask them about friends and see if you both share mutual friends.  Questions are always good icebreakers to start up conversations, especially if it is awkward in the beginning, which is totally normal.

If you find a roommate that lives out of state, try to video chat them or call them on occasion.  Although you won’t be able to meet in person, it’s close enough to it.  Try to keep up with them through texting, calling, and video chatting until you guys are able to meet in person.    Plus once you do finally meet them in person, you should already know enough about them!

Weigh Your Options

After meeting for the first time, consider if it is worth meeting a second time. If you really did not have a connection with the person, you can try again or just start looking for someone else. It’s okay to be picky when finding your roommate considering that is the person you will be spending a whole year with.

Plan A College Visit Together

If the meet went well, reach out to them for a second time. Try different environments with the person. Maybe go out with a group of friends with them, or have them over at your house.  After numerous times meeting with someone, it will narrow down who you truly want to room with.  After the 5th or 6th time, it would be a good idea to visit your college campus together. This is a very important step especially with your roommate. This way you can look at the dorms, go out, and meet new people on campus together. You both can learn what you like and dislike about the campus together.

Anna Cirone (12) visited the University of Missouri with her future roommate recently.  She thought it brought them closer and she now feels very comfortable around her.  “Before the trip we weren’t very close.  We didn’t know much about each other.  But after the trip I felt as if I knew her for years.” said Cirone.  With a long distance roommate, try to keep up with them through texting, calling, and video chatting until you guys are able to meet in person.

When it comes to finding a roommate, it’s important to stick with your own gut, and don’t let others’ opinions change the way you feel about a certain person. Especially if you do have mutual friends, odds are the friends will have strong opinions on the person you might room with. I think you should take what they have to say into consideration, but don’t let it change the way you feel about your possible roommate, especially if you really like them. Plus, you wouldn’t want your roommate to change their opinion on your based off what someone else had to say.  “It’s important to judge someone when you first meet them.  The less picky you are the more options you will have.” said Hutson.

Overall, keep an open mind, and be open to new people coming into your life. You will remember your roommate for the rest of your life, so it’s important to find a good one. Be yourself, and remember to ask questions. Not only is this someone you will live with, this is someone who could be your best friend all throughout college. Good luck!