Unsung Heroes of VH

Here at VHHS, we have a student-to-teacher ratio of about 14:1. In comparison to the other schools in our area, we’re a very small high school. Because of this, it doesn’t take long before students know everyone that they might pass in the hallways, both students and staff members. In fact, some students may even have the same teacher twice over the course of his or her high school career.

However, this ratio does not include all of the school’s non-teaching staff members. While many students are very familiar with VHHS teachers, they do not know a whole lot of the other staff members; many of whom play vital roles in keeping our school functioning as well as it does. Here is a little bit about some of the unknown faces you may pass in the hallway:

Mr. Dave Zacharko

The Scratching Post: What do you do?

Dave Zacharko: I work in the IT/AV Department. Mostly, we make sure all of the audio-visual equipment is working in the school, in the classrooms, in the studio theater, auditorium, outside facilities like the football stadium, and all of the computers and printers are working. Make sure all of the technical gear is working.

TSP: Where can you be found?

DZ: If I’m not running around the building, I’m in my office in the media center.

TSP: How long have you worked here?

DZ:I’ve worked here since the building opened, and I worked at Libertyville before that; so I’ve worked with the district for 18 years.

TSP: Are you involved with any of the activities here at VHHS?

DZ:Getting a phone call from a panicked teacher and being able to relieve their stress by fixing the issue.

TSP: What is your favorite part of your job?

DZ:Television club.

Mr. Rob Nardini

The Scratching Post:What do you do? 

Rob Nardini: Technically, I’m part of the support staff, but I do a little bit of everything. Little bit of security, little bit of— basically whatever they need me to do.

TSP: Where can you be found?

RN:Different spots all day long. Specifically, during lunch I am in the cafeteria.  

TSP:How long have you worked here?

RN:I’ve been working in and involved with the building for 15 years, but technically this is my first year full time.

RN: Girls Basketball Coach

TSP:  What is your favorite part of your job?

RN:It’s a great place to work. I enjoy the people I work with and interacting with students. It’s cool to run into past students or basketball players years later and see them as successful adults, and think that you may have had a part in that.

Mr. Ben Aucutt

The Scratching Post: What do you do?

Ben Aucutt: Lots of stuff related to IT…most importantly, I make sure all of the Chromebooks work. There are many facets to the Chromebook world, I am in charge of the hardware aspect of it, like repairing for example. Along with Chromebook stuff, I am responsible for helping teachers if their computer stops in the middle of class, or with other serious computer issues.

TSP: Where can you be found?

BA:IT department: room 2401.

TSP: How long have you worked here?

BA: I’ve worked here since the summer of 2012, but I’ve been working summers with them (the district) while I was in college for 4 years prior to that.

BA: I help out with the Computer Science Club and VH Give.

BA:I love helping people with their technology needs and making sure things are working correctly.

Mr. Bo Warmbold

The Scratching Post: What do you do?

Bo Warmbold: My team and I design and service the projectors, document cameras and sound systems for the building and support many of the events that happen on campus such as music concerts, football games and College meetings.

TSP: Where can you be found?

BW: My office is room 1309G right next to the teachers workroom on the first floor.

TSP: How long have you worked here?

BW: 17 years this December 20th, and I have worked at VHHS since the building opened. I also went to high school at LHS.

BW: Being able to help teachers and students with their various projects and events.

BW: In the past I was heavily involved in the musical and plays, more recently I am the technical supervisor for Top Cougar, Choir Fest, and International Language Week.