Kelly Starykowicz (12) has true NHS experience

On April 5th, the National Honors Society (NHS) welcomed new members, including 107 Juniors, furthermore expanding the society to a total of 185 students.

Yet, months before, NHS member Kelly Starykowicz (12) began to bring light to broader opportunities the society has to offer.

In the beginning of the school year, NHS adviser Mr. Nick Austin received a call  asking for an NHS member who would dedicate some time at the Victory Centre retirement home.  The caller was the son of a 95-year-old woman diagnosed with glaucoma and macular degeneration of the eye, which left her unable to read.

Mr. Austin, who is serving his fifth year as the head adviser of NHS, answered the call with hesitation. NHS usually ushers concerts, tutors underclassmen, and manages concessions. Occasionally, it also does more festive activities: singing Christmas carols at retirement homes, participating in arts and crafts at elementary schools, or working concessions at the Prairie State marathon.  

But never did Mr. Austin expect the call asking for a student to read novels for a blind woman; a time commitment more demanding than other events.  

“I don’t want it to be a club that is completely overbearing,” Mr. Austin said. “NHS students are often the [busiest] students in the school.”

Though Mr. Austin was lacking confidence in finding a student to take up the challenge, there came along Starykowicz.  

Starykowicz, who also serves as the president of the Best Buddies club, always wanted to extend her kindness to a retirement home as well.  She fit the required role.

Every day volunteering was the same for Starykowicz: entering a room filled with piles of books circling the woman in bed.  Her name was Mildred.  Though her infirmity was apparent, her eyes sparkled with joy everytime she would see Starykowicz enter the room.  Mildred had a love for books, especially classic mysteries.  So Starykowicz retrieved one of the books from piles of others, and began to read.

She sat close to Mildred, delicately lifting every syllable from the page with her voice.  “She was always smiling and laughing at the funny parts,” Starykowicz said.“She was extremely engaged.”  At the time, she read The Fallen Man by Tony Hillerman.  

Soon, her once-a-week visits to the retirement home became a pleasure for both Starykowicz  and Mildred.

During December, there was a brief pause in their weekly get-togethers.  Mildred was admitted to the hospital, followed by an extended visit to a rehabilitation center. Even so, Starykowicz persisted to read to Mildred upon the additional request of Mildred’s son.

Unfortunately, Mildred passed away the day before Starykowicz’s visit, after three months of reading to her.

Mr. Austin and special education teacher Ms. Martin recognized the positive impact Starykowicz had on this person’s life, and so they awarded her the Cougar Class Act award for applying kindness to uncertain circumstances.  Mildred’s son wrote Starykowicz an earnest thank you letter.  And for all these acts of recognition, Kelly reciprocates their gratitude.

“That was a good feeling to know,” Starykowicz said, “that I made the last few months of her life that better by visiting her one hour each week.”

Kelly recently received her cord of honor at the NHS induction ceremony.  She will be studying biomedical engineering at the University of Wisconsin Madison. Though her senior year is coming to a close, she has left a remarkable impression on the society and what more it has to offer.
“NHS isn’t about checking boxes and crossing things off a list,” Mr. Austin added, “but it is really about reaching out to others even when it may be inconvenient for ourselves.”