One act insider: a look into “Blue Monday”

Scott Knier (12) is writing and directing his own operetta, entitled “Blue Monday”, that is being showcased in this year’s student-directed One Acts.  Scott participates in Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble as a percussionist, and Concert and Chamber Choir as a vocalist. This year, he has decided to showcase his skills as a composer by writing and directing his own operetta. 

Featuring a small cast of about eight people, this production is not a part of the usual comedy genre you usually see in the One Act productions. Scott defines it as an operatic piece for the modern audience.

“The show takes place in a dingy apartment on the upper east side of New York,” Knier said. “The entire show is split between a jazz trumpeter and a couple married out of high school.”

The couple longs for love, and the trumpet player longs for glory. Their passion to achieve these things causes them to run into a genie who is able to grant these wishes, but who also serves as a reflection of the characters’ own vanities and flaws.

“These two groups of people don’t know each other very well,” Knier said. “They’re just neighbors and that’s the only connection. But they share something that’s shared with the entire world, and that’s that feeling of longing. This show is all about longing. It’s about that desperation of wanting something no matter what.”

The music Scott composed for “Blue Monday” helps to reinforce this idea of longing. There are many instances where the chords remain unresolved, and thus create tension and ambiguity. As a result, the listener craves resolution, which correlates with the emotions of the characters who also are trying to find some sort of resolution in their own lives.

The music is incredibly sophisticated for someone at such an early stage in their artistic career. Scott has been playing percussion and singing since middle school, but didn’t start composing until his freshman year in high school. He quickly became fascinated with classical composers and music theory, and thus began his intense study of composition.

The musical style of this operetta is largely influenced by the works of Scott’s favorite composer, George Gershwin. Gershwin’s blend of classical and jazz music has had a profound impact on Scott’s own personal style, which combines classical textures and colorful harmonies.

“Blue Monday” features a diverse cast from people who have been involved in musicals since middle school to people who have never been involved in musical theatre before. The musical features Aubrey Black (12), who was the lead in this year’s production of “Little Shop of Horrors” and plans on majoring in musical theatre. She enjoys the process of working with the writer because it pushes the cast to be more original and creative.

“We get to create with the creator so there’s nothing to copy from,” Black said. “The characters are completely created by us.”

This diverse cast combined with a heart-warming story make this act stand out from previous years’ acts. It’s definitely not one to miss, and you can see it the last weekend in February.