Squandered Summer

Squandered Summer

All students have to start thinking about summer reading, whether it be in the beginning, middle, or very end of summer. Often kids just think of it as a chore to get an A on the assessment, while others don’t think of it at all and Sparknote it.

“I think it’s good to get us to read over the summer, but I just don’t think the whole thing is needed. I think it would be just better to ask us to read a couple of books that we choose,” said Madelyn Woodrow (9).

“I wouldn’t say it is needed but I think if we just had to read and had no assignment I think it would be more effective. People put it off and don’t want to do it but if it was just a book people would just do the assignment,” said Brandon Coty (12). He also thought that the overall assignment was not bad especially because most students forget a lot over the summer.

Teachers, however, have a different viewpoint on the subject. “I really like summer reading. I think it’s really important for students to keep reading over the summer and keep their minds engaged,” said Freshman Lit/Comp teacher, Ms. Freichels. She also mentioned how for the incoming freshmen, it is a good way to assess them on what they learn in the beginning of year and introduce them to the curriculum.

The English teachers believe that summer reading is important to keep students engaged and reading over the summer. “I personally love summer reading, and it’s an opportunity to keep kids engaged over the summer,” said English Department supervisor Mrs. Nieves.

Most students have things they would change about summer reading, however the teachers all believe that summer reading should stay as it is. StudentsChineseCinderella have complaints about the assignment and what is expected of them.

Students frequently complain about reading tasks like annotating. “The fact that we have to annotate distracts some of us. I’m a good reader, but when I annotate, I have to go back and read what I’m writing. It distracts me,” said Long.

Annotating was thought to be a distraction and something that prevented students from enjoying their book. “I didn’t really enjoy having to annotate while reading a book so it took away a lot of the enjoyment of the book,” Woodrow explained.

Another complaint about summer reading was the fact that they couldn’t choose their own books. Long said, “Summer reading should be kept, but not where we have to read specific books.”

Ms. Freichels thought differently: “ We provide choice for the students. We don’t have everyone read one book, which does have its merits. Having everyone read the same book would be cool, but we decided we really want to give the students the opportunity.”

Many students find summer reading a waste of time, as most kids don’t enjoy reading anymore. The Guardian, an online news site, says that the number of American children who say they love reading books for fun has dropped almost 10% in the last four years.

Students, especially, find reading a boring task. “I just don’t like reading. I just find a lot of books boring. You have to find the right book and it’s hard to find the right book,” Woodrow said.

Summer reading has been part of the English curriculum for 15 years. “It’s a valuable educational tool, and I think, as a literary teacher, we need to be reading more,” said Ms. Freichels.

Even considering all the complaints and issues that students have with summer reading all the English teachers unanimously approve. Judging by the opinions of the teachers, summer reading is here to stay in the English curriculum.