How I Survived High School

I remember the first day I walked through the doors of this school. It feels like forever ago, but at the same time it feels like it was just last week. As I live it couldn’t go slower, but looking back, it went by too fast.

Freshman year… the thought of it makes my skin crawl. It was such a difficult time socially and academically. The middle schools had just been smashed together, and everyone was trying to make friends. On top of that, the classes and homework were all so much harder than they were in middle school. The teachers there say that they prepare you for high school, but I was incredibly unprepared.  

Nothing could have prepared me for pulling all-nighters twice a week, or for completely changing my sleep schedule to only getting three hours of sleep every night, or for the stress of getting through the day. The academic labor felt like it was too much to ask of me, and the lack of sleep really didn’t help. How did I get through it all? Caffeine… I started drinking coffee daily, and didn’t care about having friends; I just talked to whoever decided to talk to me, and kept to myself otherwise.  

About halfway into my freshman year, I got into a relationship with a guy, and started spending most of my time with him. I neglected my friendships in the process, which, in turn, caused my friends to neglect me. I would see them posting on Snapchat about all of the fun they were having while I was sitting at home. Moral of that little story: don’t neglect your friendships for a relationship!  

Sophomore year is kind of a blur. I don’t remember very much other than World Literature with Mr. Killinger, and Symphonic Band with Mr. Russell.

One of my favorite memories in Killinger’s World Lit. class is the day that Killinger told his prom story. I’m not going to spoil it for everyone that hasn’t heard it yet, but it’s so funny; I laughed so hard I started crying. Despite all of the goofiness that took place in that class, it was in his class where I realized what path I wanted to take for my future. I’ve always wanted to be a high school English teacher, but Killinger always talks about how cool it is to have gone to school here, and then come back and work with all of his former teachers. He made it sound so great I decided that I wanted to pursue the same path.  

Symphonic Band was a journey. Going from being one of three French Horn players in Freshman Band with two other players, to being the only French Horn player in Symphonic Band was a huge eye opener for me; everything I did was a solo. I didn’t have anyone to hide behind. I took private lessons, and not only did it benefit me as a musician, but it was also one of the most fun classes I’ve taken. Mr. Russell would always get sidetracked telling a story, looking for a video online, or just having conversations with the band as a whole.  

In one class, I was basically forced into sitting next to one of my exes and instead of just sitting there in awkward silence and ruining the class for both of us, we gradually started talking again, and actually became decent friends.

Junior year was probably my worst year of high school. The classes were harder, I got dumped flat on my butt, and the tensions in all of my friendships were at an all time high.

My friends and I had a new argument or disagreement every week. Everything with my friends made me realize that I need to be careful who I confide in, and be cautious of the words I say because there’s always some way that they can be twisted.

On top of all of that, the same person that I had been in a relationship with since my Freshman year dumped me. The whole situation was handled so terribly. After spending some time by myself, I realized that if people don’t like me for who I am, then it’s their own fault because they’re the ones missing out.  

Academically, Junior year went really well in every class except for Algebra II. I am not a number person; I write stories and poetry, not equations. I loved having Ms. Redig as my teacher. She was unbelievably entertaining. The content of the lessons, however, just didn’t get through to me. Every day I would spend my study halls writing poetry instead of getting math help, which, looking back, may not have been the smartest idea. At the time, I thought a C was the best I could do, but I know I could have done better if I had just asked for more help.

I finally got myself a place in Wind Ensemble at the end of my Junior year, after two years of private lessons and practicing. This showed me that I can do anything that I set my mind to, as long as I’m willing to work at it.

My last year as a student at VHHS has been wild. During first semester I took my first AP class this year, and realized that only putting in 50 percent effort doesn’t cut it anymore. Taking AP Psych with Mr. Mann was one of the best parts of my year. I learned so much about the human brain and how we think; it actually helps me understand why people do the things they do. And, much like Killinger’s Prom story, Mr. Mann has an incredible Homecoming story.

Joining Newspaper has made my year more stressful, and more enjoyable at the same time. I was given the chance to write about things that I really care about instead of writing an essay about some boring old book that a teacher is shoving in my face. Each article I’ve written has been a challenge, but has also allowed me to express myself. For anyone who enjoys writing, this is definitely a class for you. I’m genuinely upset I didn’t start taking the class sooner.  

This year I was thrown into Argument and Debate with Mr. Conroy. Taking that class was one of the best things I could have done. I learned how to develop and compose an argument in a formal setting, and I was forced to face my fear head on. By the end of the semester, my fear was almost washed away, and I had another teacher to add to my top five.  

Taking Preschool with Mrs. Whitescarver was one of the most relaxing, and gratifying classes I’ve ever taken. Being able to have a break in your day to go sit down and play with little three and five year old kids is one of the only things that helped me get through the day.

This year over spring break I went on a trip with the Band to Italy. Being able to see and explore a foreign country for a whole week was better than I could have ever dreamed. I learned to be more responsible and self-sufficient, and that it’s a lot easier for me to make friends than I thought it was. When we got to Italy I knew maybe three or four people on the trip, and came home with a whole new cluster of friends that now make up a large amount of my closest friends. While I was there I learned one very important thing about myself: when it comes to food, I have no self control. On the second or third day of being in Italy, I ate so much it made me sick for at least four hours, and I ended up spending the majority of that night projectile vomiting into weird, foreign toilets. If you ever find yourself in a foreign country, don’t go overboard on the food. Also, be grateful that when you’re out and about in Vernon Hills, for the most part, people understand what you’re saying!  

Being able to exempt from finals isn’t a huge time difference, but it feels like such a life-changing accomplishment. Having the ability to maintain my grades as well as an active social life, has made me wish that the concept of balancing it out had been this clear and simple to me four years ago.

As the day that I get my diploma and walk through the front doors of the school for the last time gets closer and closer, I can’t help but reflect on all of the time I’ve spent here. The last four years have been a rollercoaster, but after looking back, no matter how happy and excited I am to  get out of here and move on to the next chapter of my life, I know for a fact that I’m going to miss this place. My final words of advice for my fellow VHHS students are as cliche as they come: live in the moment, and enjoy this time while you can because it will be over before you know it.