The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Prom Odyssey: VHHS students take on A Night in Greece

Student council members pose at prom with their 6 advisors.

Picture this: Ancient Greece decorations, glittering prom dresses, chattering voices, mosh pits. This year, VHHS took on a Grecian theme and was held at the Renaissance Hotel in Schaumburg. 

Tickets were sold at $106 and students selected their dinner tables while purchasing their tickets. 

Merissa Zyrkowski, social studies teacher, was one of the Prom advisors this year.

“It took a lot of planning, and we started to discuss the theme after spring break,” Zyrkowski said.

This year’s Prom included a photo booth featuring a variety of Greek temple green screen backdrops that students could choose from before they began posing, and a 360 video spin booth, where students could pose with groups of friends or dates.

Throughout the night, the photo booth remained a focal point, drawing in students who were eager to capture memories with their friends.

“We planned everything that was at the venue; it was nice seeing everything we planned all set up,” Caden Psaras (12), president of the Student Council Executive Board, said.

The Executive Board came up with the theme and the menu items for the night. 

“As a council, we wrote down all the theme ideas we had on a whiteboard and voted to see which ones we liked the most,” Haley Kalinowski (12) said.

Kalinowski is a senior class representative on the Executive Board.

The top two choices besides Night in Greece were Roaring ‘20s and Starry Night.

In addition to the thematic photo booth options, there was mega Jenga for people to play with as well. 

“My group and I and friends played couples Jenga with each other throughout the night,” Amelia Bell (12) said. “We had fun making a competition against couples and enjoyed the variety of activities.”  

Simultaneously, the dance floor was full of energy as students danced together. 

“Being able to spend the night with my friends and have fun dancing and moshing was my favorite part of the night,” Sean Lovinsky (12) said.

As the Prom drew to a close at 10:20 p.m., students headed to their buses to be escorted back to the school. 

“It felt like as soon as we got into the venue, the whole night went by quickly,” Lovinsky said.

While some students chatted at tables, others were having fun on the dance floor to the sound of music.

Lights flashed all across the room as laughter and chatter bounced off the walls. 

“The whole venue was full of flashing lights, and I enjoyed the music,” Lovinsky said. 

This year’s Prom Court members were seniors Ava Lukyan, Byungyoon You, Ana Clara Pucetti, Charlie Blackmer, Shruti Rozario, Sean Kalu, Arianna Mae Reyes, and Purab Arora. 

“It was very cool being on Prom Court, and I was very thankful,” You said. 

You was also named on the Homecoming Court earlier in the year. 

“Prom was probably the best dance of all high school, and it was special to spend it with close friends,” You said.