The student newspaper of Vernon Hills High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Students find community in VHHS clubs

Vernon Hills High School currently offers dozens of clubs. In each club, students can find a community: people who bond over the same interests, events, activities, and opportunities to try new things. 

From attending only one meeting, to going weekly to clubs, students experience these extracurricular activities in different ways.

Lauren Kendrick (10), director of technology and education for Dare to Empower, shared about how this club impacted her.

“Especially during Covid, when I was online a lot more, I realized there were certain expectations for people who are female versus male when it comes to things such as appearance,” she said. “I think a lot of our society’s standards for women are unreasonable, as well for guys who are taught they shouldn’t express their feelings.”

Kendrick joined Dare To Empower, a gender equality advocacy club, as soon as she heard about it from a teacher, with the goal of creating a space for people of all genders to discuss their experiences and positively impact their community.

“[DTE] has really allowed me to gain a perspective outside of myself and be more active outside of school,” she said. 

Amanda Klein, sponsor for the club alongside Laura Rash, shared how she sees club members growing as individuals.

“They are more empowered to speak out in classrooms, to talk about their club, and they can explain what feminism means and that it’s not anti-men,” she said. “When they grow in their knowledge, their activism, and their advocacy, that’s a very powerful thing.”

Monica Caldicott, the school librarian and one of the advisers for the club VHgive, the school’s student-led initiative to spread Cougar spirit, said being active in the school community involves lots of acts of kindness. 

“I think students know from their own conscience that it’s good to be a kind person, to be helpful, to reach out to other people and offer assistance,” she shared. “It’s awesome that our school underlines that and says: how you are with your family and in your personal life is also how you should be at school; and gives opportunities to put those values in practice.”

In the past, VHgive leaders have conducted projects such as bringing treats to the police department, paying for the person behind them at a drive thru, and donating books to preschools. The initiative has ongoing contact with a sister school in Uganda.

“We have raised money to buy new desks for their classrooms, bunk beds for their dormitories…. plates, cups, knives, and forks for their new dining pavilion,” Caldicott shared. “That’s a chance to practice the values that we honor: helping other people… seeing people’s lives that are different from yours and understanding and appreciating them.”

Clubs have also helped spark changes in our community.

The Sexuality and Gender Acceptance club, SAGA, helped change the format of prom tickets, which used to say “boy and girl’s name,” to a gender neutral variation.

Additionally, they are advocating for more accessible gender neutral bathrooms and more awareness around the importance of using correct pronouns. 

“I think everybody deserves to feel safe and respected at school,” Eileen Baranyk, one of the sponsors for the club, said. “So becoming a part of SAGA was really just a way to make students know that whoever they are, whoever they love, they have a safe place in the school and adults who support them…. knowing that they’re not alone is a feeling of strength.”

Deborah Beagle, the director of student activities, highlighted a research that correlates staff involvement in clubs to a more positive high school experience for students, with better grades, better attendance, and fewer discipline issues. 

“Everybody’s had a bad day, but sometimes you’re having your bad day and you might go to your teachers, who’s also your coach, or who’s also your adviser,” she said. 

Teachers who are involved in clubs help create a link between classes and extracurricular activities students might pursue. 

“I was looking at all the different clubs, and I knew Ms. Klein because she was my Freshman Lit Honors teacher. And [Dare To Empower] was all about women empowerment,” said Rani Sethuraman (10), event coordinator for the club. “I’m really, really passionate about that.”

Along with advocating for change and challenging your world views, friendships come alongside these learning experiences too. 

Ryleigh Levy (11), who completed the Starbook Club challenge of reading all 20 books nominated for the Illinois Teen Choice Award over summer, shared her perspective on the club. 

“It’s really wonderful that people understand my excitement over things.” Levy said. 

Percy McGrath (11), likes the connections they make with people. 

“You get to connect with new people, you get to understand what their favorite things are, and you get to share what you really care about,” McGrath said.

Sophia Spanos (11) has found a place of belonging.

“I really like book club because it’s a place where I feel I don’t have to do something special in order to fit in.” Spanos shared. 

Despite the variety of clubs already offered, students are always coming up with something new. The process of suggesting a new club involves sending an email to Dr. Beagle with a proposal. She will email back a form to complete by November 1st. Then, it’ll be reviewed along with the current programming. 

According to Dr. Beagle, she receives about twenty new club proposals every semester. 

“I have hundreds of emails! I like it, because it keeps my job interesting.” she said.