VHHS moves forward from Highland Park tragedy physically, socially, and emotionally

July 4, 2022 produced new fears for the residents of Highland park, as a mass shooting stopped town and eventually statewide celebrations alike. The tragedy of a massive loss led to lasting effects on residents of Illinois, and has been lingering in their minds ever since.

Now entering the 2023 school year, VHHS teachers and staff are making sure that students stay alert and safe from danger, as well as remembering the lives lost. 

The majority of actions taken were under wraps from the student gaze, led by Greg. Stilling, vice principal of VHHS. 

As a school that benefits from multiple mental health resources, VHHS worked to push them out towards Highland park.

“Several social workers and other related service personnel go over to Highland Park, a couple of days after, just to be available for people who were grieving who were affected by the tragedy. Because the community needed so much support in those, you know, several days right after,” said Stilling. 

These resources were reinforced in VHHS’ district as well. 

Stilling remarked that the news of the shooting led to the initial thoughts of staff members who live in Highland Park, and the school made it a priority to try and make sure they were okay.

While looking after Highland Park’s students and staff during these difficult times, VHHS is considering and reviewing their existing safety measures as well. So far, there have not been many complete policy changes in school. 

“We are already ranked as one of the safest schools in Illinois,” said Stilling.

As a result, the school already has many plans for what to do in unsafe situations that are dealing with weather, active shooters, natural disasters, and more. 

“There are constant safety meetings every week, planning for our evacuation plan if an event like that should happen. If a shooter came through the main doors, everyone would be instructed to sprint to the exits on the east side and go to CDW, where there would be housing for 1,600 students plus 400 staff members. There would be food, water, and an ability for parents to pick up their children. If a shooter came from the east side of the building, everyone should sprint out to the main entrance and go to BD”, confirmed Officer Meade, stationed officer at VHHS.

A student here at VHHS however, might not be aware of the safety measures taking place, or might not see social worker presence as a good way to cope.

To support students, The library organized an area for bracelet making to show support to victims of Highland Park. From pastel colors to positive messages, the bracelets were gifted to Highland Park elementary schools in order to lift spirits for students and staff alike. 

“Each bracelet has a pretty special word on it. It might be, ‘proud of you’ or ‘friends’, ‘be bright’ or ‘you can do it’. I think those messages that are embedded in the words of the bracelet, really are the message we want to send to the students of Highland Park; that  even though they had a very tragic thing happened in their community, on the Fourth of July, it gives us the chance to hug them close,” said  VHHS head librarian, Monica Caldicott. 

The project had extremely positive responses allowing students from our school to indirectly connect with students in Highland Park to show support towards them throughout this recovery period.

“A theme that our school has been using this year is ‘Stronger Together’, a staff member came up with a great idea that would connect us to young students in Highland Park. I was thrilled at the idea of giving our VHHS students a chance to connect and send good vibes and love to the students of Highland Park Elementary Schools. Our goal is to have 40-50 bracelets, and every day I see more students coming to work on them.”

From safety procedures and drills to keeping an eye on the mental health and wellbeing of students and staff, VHHS stays prepared.