‘Tis The Season For Homecoming

Jack Veits

Junior class cheer during color competition assembly.

Powderpuff

On September 19, Monday night Powderpuff commenced Homecoming week. Ten powderpuff teams participated in this year’s competition. All players, coaches, and staff sponsors met on the football field for the heated competition. 

Nandini Barot (12) was on Team Proletariat and scored a touchdown during the first game. 

“The atmosphere was amazing. Everyone became friends with everyone and you felt so pumped up when you were right there,” said Barot. 

The teams then warmed up and played 15 minute long games. The White Team was in the lead throughout the night and won 35-21. The White Team was very excited about their victory because of the preparation that went into the competition. 

“We would meet at least two or three times a week just practicing first how to throw a football and then getting through the plays by our coaches,” said Barot. 

The team went from beginner level to winning alongside the rest of the White Team. 

Spirit Week

VHHS wasn’t shy of school spirit this week! Spirit days included jersey day, summer swag, snow day, color competition, and cougar spirit day. 

Sarah Nam (9) said high school spirit was more apparent than in middle school. 

“High school spirit week had a lot more energy than middle school; I’m looking forward to doing color competition again next year,” said Nam.

Each grade wears their designated color from head to toe and cheer before the school day on Thursday. The seniors were declared the winner of this year’s color competition. 

“I think [the win] was fair and square,” said Olivia Irvin (12). 

The school week concluded with an assembly on Friday. The cheer and dance teams performed together, Men in Green showed their winning LipSync dance and Homecoming court was escorted across the gym. The new tradition of tug of war also made a comeback this year, which the seniors won.

Decorations

Students also prepared for Homecoming by decorating the school for the theme, ‘Tis the Season. Seniors decorated the foyer with all seasons, juniors decked out the 2nd floor with fall decor, sophomores assembled the 1st floor in summer decor and freshmen covered the lower level with spring decor. Elaborate props and banners filled the school. Inflatable turkeys, flamingos and snowmen filled the halls. VHHS staff voted on which hall was the best and the sophomore class was named the winner. 

Homecoming

After an exciting week of build up, the Homecoming dance took place on September 24 at 7pm. There was dancing, music, cookies, italian ice and a photo booth. 

The dance was a major event at the school but students weren’t thrilled about the DJ this year. 

“DJ really knows how to clear a dance floor,” said Jack Pristas (12).

Raquel Ruiz (12) shared a similar opinion. 

“All of the songs he played weren’t moshable which is a highlight students look forward to,” Ruiz said.