Two new reps join Board of Education

Nikki Patel

Board Members Lisa Hessel (left) and Casey Rooney (right) joined the Board of Education this year.

This year, District 128 has welcomed two new members to the Board of Education (BOE), Casey Rooney and Lisa Hessel.

Hessel, a Vernon Hills resident, was selected to fill the position of the now resigned Ellen Mauer, while Rooney, from Libertyville, was selected to replace a more recently resigned member, Mackenzie Thurman.

When looking to fill in the positions left by Thurman and Mauer, the BOE announced the openings publicly and asked for residents of the area to apply.

“In both cases we had more than 10 applicants for each position,” BOE President Dr. Groody stated.

Through searching for the right replacements, the BOE had to come together for the interview process, rather than the usual election held in April. Due to this unique situation created by the sudden resignations, the BOE had more of a say as to who got the jobs.

For both Rooney and Hessel, being part of the school board is a familiar, yet unique role they’ve been preparing for. Both members praise the rest of the board for making this transition an easy task.

Rooney also sits on an auxiliary board for youth and family counseling, raising money for those in need of mental health services.

Hessel comes from a corporate background, and has been working with other board members to familiarize herself with school financing, which she stated was slightly different from her personal background.

Both members also have extensive history with the district as parents.

“I’ve been a parent at LHS since 2008,” Rooney Said. “I’ve also sat on the district’s calendar committee where we determine the school year calendar.”

Both discussed the importance of prioritizing the school’s budget with the upcoming expansion proposals at VHHS.

Hessel sits on the board as part of the facility and finance committee, while Rooney will likely assume Mackenzie Thurman’s role on the personnel committee.

“We want to continue to use our resources in the most fiscally responsible way,” Hessel commented.

Board meetings, as both VHHS Principal Dr. Guillaume and Dr. Groody put it, are the main way that administrators interact with the BOE.

Dr. Guillaume added that board members visit District 128 schools often.

Student Board Member Brandon Kim (12) noted that he and other student members of the board meet a week before meetings with BOE members to discuss what they can present to the board.

“Most of the student board reps bring out student input for how they can improve the school,” Kim stated.

Hessel and Rooney emphasized that student boards members are to act as the voice of the students at each school. Both, along with other members strongly advocate that students should support those student members

“We’re in it for the students,” Hessel said.