New Teachers Part 2

Dana Green: Orchestra Teacher

dana-green-headshot_300

What college did you go to? Undergraduate? DePaul University.

What interests do you have outside of work? I love rock climbing, that’s like my favorite, favorite thing in the whole entire world to do.

Fun fact? I almost died… on the peak in the Sawtooth Mountains about four years ago now.

What message do you have for VHHS students? Live consciously, invest enough attention in yourself, care enough about yourself, and strive towards happiness, always.

Shawn Woodie: Social Studies Teacher

Have you always wanted to become a teacher? Yes.img_20160811_150619

Have you taught anywhere else before? Yes. I taught out in Riverside at Hauser Junior High School. I taught 8th grade English and Social Studies.

How is it different from teaching at VHHS? High school kids are little more mature. They’re not as antsy, they seem a little more focused.

fullsizerenderElizabeth Peterson: Social Worker

What was your dream job as a child? I’ve always been a [helpful] person, ever since I can remember. So I think I always wanted to be a high school social worker.

Have you been a social worker at any other school? Yes. For five years, I was a social worker at Grant in Fox Lake.

How do you like VHHS so far? I think it’s awesome. I think everybody is so welcoming and everyone is genuinely happy to work here.

Ryan Berba: Social Studies Teacher

berba-square

What do you teach? This semester I [teach] International Studies, World History, Psychology, and then next semester, I have Current Issues.

Have you always wanted to become a teacher? Yeah, I’d say since my senior year in high school, that’s when I knew. I had a lot of teachers that inspired me, I saw how passionate they were about their content.

What college did you go to? I went to North Central College in Naperville.

How do you like VHHS so far? So far, so good. I mean, the kids are great. It just seems like everyone is motivated, which is awesome. It couldn’t be any better.

Shannon Garcia: Counselor

Have you always wanted to become a counselor? I actually pursued English secondary ed as my degree first, and I taught English for ten years.

Have you worked at any other school before? Yes, I have. Out of college, I worked in Chicago Public Schools. I worked at a school called Roosevelt High School on the North West side of the city. I was there for eight years.

What college did you go to? I went to the University of Illinois in Champaign.

Patrick Walter: Special Services Teacherpa

Have you always wanted to become a special ed teacher? Actually, I graduated with a history degree from Illinois State, but history was a challenging job to get as a teacher.

Fun fact? I take my beard very serious. I take care of it very well.

Message for VHHS students? Every day, do the best you can. Always try to be the best version of yourself. Even those days where sometimes you’re tired and you’re not feeling too hot, everything seems to be going against you for a day… keep pushing, keep fighting, because it does make a difference.

al

Allison Farrell: Special Services Teacher

How has teaching impacted your life? It has made me more patient, especially being a special services teacher. Now that I have my own child, it has made me a better mother, I think. I’m more open to “my way isn’t always the right way”.

Fun fact? I am an avid scuba diver. I’ve done all sorts of crazy dives.

Message for VHHS students? I’m excited to meet you. Thank you for welcoming me, and be really, really grateful for what you have here.

Allison Micucci: Physical Education

What do you do? I’m a P.E. teacher. I teach outdoor ed, I teach Strength & Conditioning, I teach ALF, and then I am piloting our first crossfit class.mc

Have you always wanted to become a P.E teacher? Yes. Didn’t know I wanted to do P.E till I got into college, but I really enjoy it.

What interests do you have outside of work? Softball and football, and obviously working out.

What was your dream job as a child? I wanted to be a wedding planner for a really long time.