No Snapchat in class

Donalie+Black+%2810%29+is+keeping+up+her+streaks+on+Snapchat+during+her+lunch+period.+

Donalie Black (10) is keeping up her streaks on Snapchat during her lunch period.

Recently, it was announced that a new cell-phone policy is being enforced. This confused many students whose teachers told them they now could not Snapchat in class.

Students were feeling confused about how the school would monitor their cell phone usage and know if they were on Snapchat. This is not what is happening; this policy is just being stated again to prevent any more issues with privacy violation and photography without permission.

“It’s probably fair to say that this was not a decision necessarily. This was more a re-emphasis of class expectations,” said school principal Dr. Jon Guillaume. “There is already an expectation that there are no cell phones in class.”

English department supervisor Mrs. Tara Nieves also explained how this is not solely for the purpose of eliminating Snapchat. “I have not heard the rule of if you’re caught Snapchatting, you’ll get a detention. I think that teachers need to make it clear whatever their expectations are regarding the use of social media in class,” said Nieves.

There have been times where privacy has been violated in the past, both with teachers and students. Although it may not seem like a big deal to some people, to others privacy is an important right.

“We had a few instances last year of a teacher being photographed, whether it was for Snapchat, Instagram, whatever purpose, without the teacher knowing about it,” said Guillaume, “so what we decided to do this year is just have teachers address it, just so students understand that some teachers may feel like this is a privacy issue.”

The consequences of taking pictures of others without their permission can vary.

“We look at each case individually, and we make a decision based on what happened,” said school dean Mrs. Madeline Powell, “we’re not going to say that every kid who takes a picture or video gets this. It can range anywhere from a warning to a suspension, depending on what they record.”

The reinforcement of school cell-phone policy is a result of students taking pictures or videos without a teacher or another student’s permission. It is not only a school policy, but there is also a law that requires the person’s permission before you photograph someone.

“If a teacher gives you permission, then go for it,” said Powell.

The growth of social media constantly brings new apps, new trends, and new ways to communicate and there has been discussion concerning the distraction that phones and social media could bring to the classroom. This is what led to the classroom policy of no phones during class time.

“I think it deviates focus. There is that time between classes that you can look on your phone. I’m not sure why students can’t focus on what’s going on in class for 45-50 minutes. That lack of engagement is taken up by social media. Social media is just another way to zap our attention,” said Nieves.

Similarly, Powell agreed.

“It’s hard to be on Snapchat and stay focused on what you’re supposed to be learning. If your phone is out, you’re not really engaged with what’s happening in the classroom, so we think that’s a distraction that students don’t need during the day. School’s that place where you came to learn, and we want to make sure that we capitalize on every moment we have you,” said Powell.

Snapchat has become the new means of quick communication and keeping in touch with the introduction of new features like streaks and stories.

“I honestly think it’s kind of stupid, but it’s fun because you can post random stuff all day and get streaks,” said Natalia Przeklasa (10).

Students have different views on the growing issue of Snapchat and privacy violation.

“It’s just your face. I think it should be fine because everyone does it, so there isn’t a way to prevent it anyway,” said Przeklasa.

“I’m not for using Snapchat in class because I feel like it’s just asking for trouble. People who don’t want to be photographed end up photographed, and there ends up being pictures or videos of teachers up,” said Katy Brennan (10).

Overall, the school policy is that phones are not used during class unless otherwise said by the teacher. However, the best decision you can make if you are unsure is to ask.