6 things that cost less than AP tests

All year long, Advanced Placement (AP) students struggle through their classes in hopes of attaining college credit from a high exam score in May. While earning a 4 or 5 on one exam could save hundreds of dollars in college, paying the $92 registration fee per exam stacks up quickly, especially if a student is taking two, three, or four AP classes. To put it in perspective, here are six things you can buy that are cheaper than AP test registration.

coffee1. Coffee every day for a month

If you spend $3 on a coffee from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts every day, it will take you 32 days to spend $92 (however, around exam time, you’re probably spending more than $3 a day to stay awake all day anyway).

2. Netflix for 10 months fuller house

Netflix streaming service costs $8.99 a month, and paying that for 10 months will even leave you with a few dollars left over. Plus, challenging yourself to finish a show while simultaneously studying for AP exams will really push your limits, and you’ll find out just how much you’re truly capable of.

3. A one-day passcountry thunder to Lollapalooza (or four-day to Country Thunder)

This one will cost you two AP classes, as it comes in at $120. But, on the bright side, you’ll have $64 leftover to spend on an outfit or accessories. Or, if that type of music isn’t your thing, you can also purchase a four-day pass to Country Thunder at $160 and still have some extra pocket money.

4. A round trip to California

This one’s another deal for the price of two AP classes. If you buy in advance, and don’t travel during a high-volume time, a ticket to Los Angeles airport from Chicago can be as low as $125. Although it’s a tough call between gorgeous weather or taking a grueling two-hour test, traveling for these prices is a major bargain.

5. Two months of gas gas

Since gas is unusually cheap right now, $92 can get you about 46 gallons of gas if it’s $2 a gallon. If you fill up a 10-gallon tank every two weeks, that money will last you about nine weeks, or two months. If gas stays at its current price, $92 could even get you closer to three months of gas.

6. A fraction of a university term

While the cost of AP registration does seem hefty, it still has the potential to save you a drastic amount of money in college. Doing well on multiple exams could cut the price of one semester nearly in half (or even eliminate one completely). For example, at the University of Illinois, a term for a resident costs anywhere from $6,500-8,000 depending on your major. So, even though $368 for four tests seems like a lot of money now, you could potentially test out of a whole semester with four AP tests and save as much as $8,000.