VHHS Becoming a High Tech Environment

As many of you know, Vernon Hills High School does not look the same as it did last spring.The school has made many changes to correspond with the new chromebooks.

Some additions to this school have included new classrooms, charging stations, and computer labs. These are an attempt to keep up with the advancing technology.

For example, Mrs. Szabo and Mr. Smith’s classroom is not like a traditional working space anymore. With movable desks and a white board wall, this classroom is made for a more unified learning environment.

“We have desks that can be moved around. This is different from a normal classroom because it creates a more collaborative space and discussions are easy to structure” said, Emily Fagel (12). These desks create different combinations of shapes that can be beneficial to your work group.

Aside from classwork, students can now charge up their new chromebooks in charging stations around the school. These can be found in the library, instead of desktops, and underneath the stairs near the cafeteria. “Most days during lunch I like to sit at the charging stations with my friend Anusha  and recharge my chromebook “ said Sarah Kain (12). “I use my chromebook in just about every class, and I end up needing more power from the rest of the day”.

However, these tech updates are not just for students. With the changing environment, teachers can now visit the former business room, 2408 to become more tech savvy. This room, called the “Hotspot”, is equipped with screens and sitting areas so that teachers can learn more about integrating technology into their curriculum. With this room, teachers can now learn how to use “HOTS”, which stands for “Higher Order of Thinking Skills”, says Mr. Crevier. With “HOTS”, classrooms will become more technological and students will learn more on the chromebooks with the help of their teachers.