#VHGamesBegin: Turnabout spirit days offer opportunities for student involvement

The logo for the 2018 Turnabout Dance

Ice skating, rock paper scissors battles and a small class color competition are just a few things that will appear at Vernon Hills High School throughout the spirit week for Turnabout.

Since the Winter Olympics begin the night before the dance, Student Council decided it would be a good theme for this year’s Turnabout dance.  This is a theme that has not been done before, and has a special value added to it since the Winter Olympics only happen once every four years.

Aditi Ram, Freshman Class President, commented that she really enjoys this year’s dance theme, since it is fresh and not as cliche as some themes have been in the past.

“I think that it is a different and unique kind of theme. Most themes are usually cheesy, whereas this is a new idea, which I like very much,” Ram said.

Ram also said she has not heard much talk from other students surrounding the theme, or the dance in general.

The spirit days leading up to the dance mirror the Olympics theme. Monday is Olympic Ring Day, a smaller version of the class color competition. Tuesday is Tracksuit Day, which is paired with an ice skating rink in the foyer to help students get in the Olympic spirit. Wednesday is White Out, Thursday is Represent Your Country Day, and Friday is Cougar Spirit Day, which is coupled with the Turnabout Assembly.

“I think it’s awesome that they are trying to get the students involved in Turnabout week,” commented Cole Wharton (12). “I enjoy the rep your country day a lot, but the day where you just wear sweatpants is kind of boring”

Sophomores Aidan Lindley and Will Darling also both believe that the Turnabout theme days could have had more of a correlation with the Olympics, rather than a white out, or a day dedicated to wearing sweats. Lindley and Darling had ideas such as jersey day, or days dedicated to specific Olympic sports, to associate better with the overall theme.

Ms. Oliver, the staff advisor for the Student Council Executive Board, says that she has heard students confusion on some of the spirit days, but the videos that have been distributed by the Student Council Executive Board explain the spirit days completely. Students have the opportunity to become more involved with the spirit days and the dance in general with the activities provided.

“I think the whole idea behind the Turnabout dance is pretty cool, and I think students are going to participate in the spirit week,” commented Darling (10).