Student Council Executive Board plans for new school year

Current Student Council Executive Board.

The 2017-2018 Student Council Executive Board gathers for a group picture. (Not pictured: Max Rattner)

While most students spend their time in class eighth hour everyday, eight Vernon Hills High School upperclassmen work together to make school events possible. These eight students form the Student Council Executive Board, and they have big plans for this upcoming school year.

This year, Student Council is full of driven people with a new vision; they are dedicating this year to engaging the students in random acts of kindness. 

“Kind of like #VHGIVE, where their shirts say ‘take less, give more,’ they want to do activities where they are just going out and doing something without asking for something,” Ms. Beagle, Director of Student Activities, said.

In the past, Student Council has hosted activities throughout the school, such as a donation drive. This year, Student Council wishes to broaden their normal activities by also giving back to VHHS.

In addition, Student Council has some new people involved. With Ms. Oliver on maternity leave, Ms. Redig is taking a leadership role. Ms. Redig is especially excited for the brand new homecoming theme this year, which is Carnival.

Currently, Student Council is planning the theme days for Homecoming Week, as well as the Homecoming Dance on Oct. 7, and they are pushing toward reaching more students through social media.

Student Council has broadcasted information through social media in years past, but a new goal this year is to reach even more students.

“We are being more active on social media and pushing out more information about events,” Matt Huse, Executive Board Junior Representative, said.

Using Snapchat and Twitter, reaching students on social media is a priority this year.

The new ideas this year from Student Council are aimed to help VHHS become a more fun and enjoyable environment.

“The best part about Student Council is the ability to make an impact on the school and see that impact,” Huse said. “It’s nice to see the school change for the better and make the lives of students more enjoyable.”

This year, the Student Council Executive Board includes President Jonathan Wallach (12), Vice President Lauren Katz (12), Treasurer Piper Bedell (11), Public Relations Mackenzie Mahler (11), Tech Coordinator Sam Lemme (12),  Representative Matt Huse (11), Representative Tatiana Guletsky (12) and Representative Max Rattner (12).