Students celebrate the holidays

Given that Vernon Hills is only about forty minutes away from the third-largest city in the country, it is bound to have a relatively diverse student body. Diversity is something to be celebrated, especially during the holiday season. Students at this school celebrate in a variety of different ways, and that is clear by interviewing just four students.

Tatiana Guletsky: Greek Orthodox

The Scratching Post: How religious are you?

Guletsky: I wouldn’t say that we’re very religious; we’ve definitely stopped going to church as much over the years, but when I was younger, we were pretty religious.

TSP: What traditions are unique to being Greek Orthodox for the holiday season?

Guletsky: We go to church on Christmas morning. It’s really fun, everyone goes. It’s very similar to a Catholic or a Christian celebration; there’s nothing super different.

TSP: What about the holiday season is special to you?

Guletsky: Just being with my family. It’s just really important. I don’t get to see them too often, and when we’re all together, it’s really fun. We get to sit by the fire and the Christmas tree… it’s really fun.”

Sage Brenner: Jewish (reform)

TSP: How religious are you?

Brenner: I kind of believe in it. I go to service on the high holidays and once a month for Shabbat.

TSP: What traditions are unique to Judaism for the holiday season?

Brenner: For Chanukah, we’ll light candles every night, adding one each day. Normally, we’ll get together with family and eat greasy foods because of the oil that lasted for eight days.

TSP: What traditions are unique to are unique to your family?

Brenner: Nothing out of the ordinary. We just get together, exchange a few presents, eat greasy foods, say a few prayers, etc.

Brenner: It’s really just about everyone getting together and having fun as a family.

Andrew Duros: Greek Orthodox

TSP: How religious are you?

Duros: For church services, I usually attend about like four times per month (every Sunday). Most of the time, I usually attend during Easter and Christmas services. I serve as an altar boy there. My yia-yia and parents are very religious, but not as much as I am.

Duros: We believe that Joseph is the son of God as our main tradition, mostly. That’s all I know.

TSP: What traditions are unique to your family for your holiday?

Duros: We celebrate like any typical family today really.

Duros: Every year, my church hosts a Christmas pageant with kids my age and younger, like fifth graders and middle schoolers.

Ethan Schuster: Jewish and Christian

TSP: How religious are you?

Schuster: I don’t really study any religion. My mom was Christian, and my dad was pretty Jewish; when he grew up, he had a bar mitzvah and he studied in Israel for a whole year.

TSP: What traditions are unique to your religions for your holiday?

Schuster: We celebrate Christmas and Chanukah. For Chanukah, we just stay in usually because it’s eight days long. We have food related to the holiday, like Jewish food in general. For Christmas, I go to my grandma’s every year. She lives in Springfield, so it’s a three-hour drive.

Schuster: We watch Elf too many times per year. Like, I’ve already watched it two times this year. We just watch it four times per year. It’s all we do actually as a tradition.

Schuster: It’s fun, and if I get stressed, I don’t get stressed. Like even if I’m stressed with grades and finals, I’m not stressed because it’s the holiday season and it’s just fun. People are usually happier. It’s like Canada, but here. No one’s pissed off all of the time. So, I’m not that stressed, even if finals are here.

Even though only three religions are shown here, the traditions and significance of them vary widely to each student. This holiday season, The Scratching Post encourages you not only to enjoy your festivities but to ask others how they celebrate. Happy holidays!