Reflecting on respect

Still from Dr. Guillaumes speech, photo courtesy of Dr. Guillaume.

Still from Dr. Guillaume’s speech, photo courtesy of Dr. Guillaume.

From the largest mass shooting in American history at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, the attempted coup in Istanbul, continued turmoil in the Middle East, ISIS attacks in Nice and Munich… this summer has certainly been memorable for many, and not in a good way.

In this age of terror, many quickly fall into the fear of “otherness”- it could very well be a threat, after all. Unfortunately, this fear of nonconformity can lead to extreme polarization. This problem is prevalent in the nation’s political discourse.

Principal Dr. Jon Guillaume agreed, hence the speech he delivered during every gym period at the beginning of the school year. Guillaume reiterated its three main points:

1. “Our history, our student body, and our culture has been based on a mutual respect. I don’t want that to change. I want that to drive how we treat one another.
  2. In today’s world, we’re not going to necessarily agree on everything. And that’s healthy too. A healthy discourse isn’t a bad thing as long as it’s done respectfully.
  3. The last thing regards how we informally talk to one another, jokingly and poking and sarcasm. That stuff can really hurt, if not done carefully,” said Guillaume.

Reactions to the message varied far and wide. Some questioned the necessity of the message, saying that they had never witnessed the jokes or arguments that Guillaume discussed. Instead, some felt that their voice was being silenced.

“It kind of felt like he was telling students to shut up and not to participate in politics just because it might offend someone,” said Sammy Thornburg (12).

On the contrary, Guillaume encourages political discourse, as long as it is healthy and civil. So, it’s really a matter of being respectful and considerate towards others.

“To go back to the RITE assembly, you don’t know what someone else is going through until you walk a mile in their shoes. I’m sure that there are kids who roll their eyes at that, because it can be kind of cheesy, but it is a good thing to consider,” Guillaume said, “At the very least, I hope people just pause an extra second before speaking.”

While many students didn’t realize that this occurs at our school simply because they haven’t experienced or witnessed it, Matt Ventrelli (12) gravely acknowledged it.

“He was definitely correct about the things that go on in our school. People make some dark jokes about race, sexuality, and what have you,” said Ventrelli, “those are the kids without morals.”

Thus, Ellis Gaidamak (12), among many other students, felt that the speech was relevant and necessary.

“I applaud the administration for actually taking a stand and saying something about any potential issues that may occur. They want their students to feel safe and actually enjoy their time in school,” said Gaidamak.

For students who have experienced any type of harassment or discomfort, this school-wide message not only brought awareness to the issue at hand, but support to them as well. The value of discussing it cannot be denied. However, it’s difficult to measure how effective the speech actually was.

It’s a good way to set the tone, but after he’s done speaking, everyone goes back to their normal lives,” said Danielle Wolf (11).

Wolf appreciated the sentiment behind the speech but didn’t feel that it really impacted students.

Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean that students are indifferent or apathetic. Ventrelli felt that it was really a matter of common sense.

“Most people I talked to about it agreed that it didn’t change their opinion about anything because they’ve heard it all before and anyone with common sense should know it already,” said Ventrelli, “you can’t teach a kid common sense- he/she either has it or doesn’t.”

For mature students, this is totally valid. For those who have yet to mature, however, Guillaume’s speech was an important reminder on the proper way to treat others.

No matter one’s opinion on Guillaume’s speech, no one can deny the amount of conversations that have ensued as a result of it. As a school, we must decide how we want to respond to it: do we ignore it or make a change?

In light of current global events, any positive change, no matter its scale, should be worked towards.

Gaidamak urges for those who are affected to speak up.

“Last year, there was a teacher conversation about various phobias and hatred going on with a bunch of club heads. It’d be good if some of the students were invited, like LGBT or Muslim students who feel comfortable speaking to teachers and administration about what they personally would like to see done better,” said Gaidamak, “if you have an issue as a student or a parent, it’s really important to speak to community leaders about that issue in order to effect change.”

Though we very much remain inside the infamous “bubble”, global events shape our daily lives. Simply discussing these issues and reminding students that disrespectful behavior is not tolerated is so crucial to their perception, and ultimately, their place in the world.