Crossfit crosses boundaries into our curriculum

An athlete participates in a CrossFit class. (Source: crossfit.com)

The Physical Education Department will be adding a new class to the curriculum coming next school year. CrossFit is a functional training class that helps students work their whole body by using movements that students use in everyday activities. For example, dead-lifting could be compared to lifting up your backpack.

“We wanted to give kids another opportunity to choose something that might be in their wheelhouse,” said Physical Welfare Department Supervisor Mr. Mike McCaulou.

This new addition to the curriculum might be a challenge for some due to its high-intensity workouts. Each day, class will start with a short warm-up and move on to the workout of the day (W.O.D.). CrossFit workouts focus on strength, but also on endurance. However, perceptions of the class’s intensity may be overblown because of programs like the CrossFit Games aired on ESPN.

“I think one of the misconceptions that people make is if you see CrossFit games on ESPN that would be like watching a professional sport team,” said McCaulou. “When you watch the CrossFit games, I think it scares people because they are really intense and they are really ripped up.”

One of the main benefits of CrossFit is that it gives students something fun that is different each day. CrossFit can help students who participated in the Strength and Conditioning class, but are looking for something a little different each day.

“It’s not one of those classes that you can go into being tentative, because there’s the risk of injury if you going in being scared of what you’re going to do,” said prospective teacher Mr. Dave Schroetter.

Some students may feel intimidated because of its reputation as a high intensity class. However, prospective students should feel open to the challenge. The class over time become similar to a close group of friends who encourage each other to do the exercises and improve their overall fitness.

“I don’t think [CrossFit] has to be for kids that are necessarily in good shape to start with, but I think if that is their long term goal, it would be a good class for them.” said Mr. Schroetter.

The CrossFit class has already been added to the Physical Education Curriculum at Libertyville High School starting in the 2013-2014 school year and has become very popular.

LHS students have fallen in love with this class,”  said Patti Mascia, the Department Supervisor of Physical Welfare at Libertyville High School. “CrossFit students have found a ‘home’ in PE. Not only do they love the structure of the class and how each movement they learn is adjusted to their ability, they have also found this course to be more like fitting into a family environment. All students help one another and continually cheer one another on and celebrate everyone’s successes in the class.”

Overall, the P.E. Department is looking forward to seeing the reactions students have to this class and are hoping to improve the fitness of VHHS students.

“My hope is that word will spread it is a really great class, that it’s for anybody, anybody that cares about their own individual fitness because they can set individual goals and they can progress at any rate that they want,” said McCaulou.