VHHS students create feminism club

Feminism. Women’s Leadership. Gender Equality. What do these words and phrases mean to you?

In society today, the word feminism can have negative connotation of extreme women’s rights and anti-male sentiment. What most people don’t know is that the definition of feminism is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. In Emma Watson’s UN speech for the HeForShe Campaign, she stated feminism is too often associated with man-hating, but instead feminism is the equal rights of men and women. She expressed her urgency for change in order to make our society an equal and balanced world between genders.

Anusha Das (12) and Sarah Kain (12) want to change the poor reputation feminism has in society and school. They believe that people correlate feminism with radical notions, but rather it is about boosting the morale of both genders and actively working to end gender inequality.

With their teacher sponsor Mrs. Carroll and 45 supporters, Das and Kain have initiated a new club at Vernon Hills High School called Women in Leadership.

“Women in Leadership is a club made to discuss gender equality and empowering women in our school,” said Das.

“This is a club for men and women, because feminism is not exclusive of either genders,” said Kain. Das and Kain’s objective is to spread the word feminism around school as a positive concept that men and women should/need to be treated equally in society.

Even though the club will not be official until the 2016-2017 school year, Das and Kain have many plans for their “test club.” They are hoping to get as many working supporters from both genders and all grades. Between volunteering at women’s shelters, bringing in women speakers from the workplace, and sponsoring a girl in Uganda, they want to spread awareness and educate VHHS that there are many issues when it comes to gender equality.

“Feminism is about embracing the need to promote equality for both genders, and making sure women are comfortable about speaking up about their rights,” said Mrs. Carroll.

Mrs. Carroll, Das, and Kain hope to inform students how women can be leaders outside of high school and having open discussions of how gender equality plays a role in our society and the working world.

So what does feminism mean to you now? Join Women in Leadership, and listen and engage in discussions to decide what feminism means to you. Changing the world starts with baby steps; therefore, it is time to educate society on gender equality and make the world an equal environment.