Join the Club

New members of our school– freshmen especially– might be confused by all the different clubs and their various acronyms. FBLA. JSA. WYSE. What are they, and which are best for you?

Vernon Hills High School has almost 50 clubs, and it can be difficult to choose between them all, especially if your course load is heavy. “You might think that you do not have a ton of time or it is not worth it to join a club or try a sport you have never done before,” Student Council Vice President John Powell (12) said, “[but] it is definitely worth it.”

Mrs. Deborah Beagle, student activities director, agrees, and advised students, “Grab a friend and try some different clubs, because you will find out things that you may not have known you enjoyed.” This is especially true and important freshman year as some clubs require long-term participation, like WYSE (the Worldwide Youth in Science and Engineering club), where students compete through their years against different schools. Clubs like anime and art, however, look more for members to participate in a day-to-day way.

The very largest clubs include Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Future Medical Professionals of America (FMPA), Student Council, First Class, and Junior State of America.

In FBLA, students develop leadership, speaking, and presentation skills in a business setting; in FMPA, however, professionals like dentists, neurologists, and pediatricians come in to lecture students. First Class members aim to help students teach others social norms and positive behaviors like random acts of kindness. JSA members participate in political debates and discussions, attend conventions, and hold mock elections. Isabella Kosoglaz (12) is an active participant in JSA: “Freshmen, regardless of whether or not they think that they are uninterested in politics and foreign policy, [should] join JSA. It is a great way to meet new people, gain a new perspective on an issue, and speak out about things that you may or may not believe in.” JSA is a great way to compare opinions and develop debating skills, both of which are important traits for budding high schoolers.

There are also smaller clubs at VHHS, like art club and anime club. Art club is a place where members have a chance to work on any project they desire, from drawing and painting to pottery making. At anime club, students participate in Japanese- and anime-related activities, like Cosplayween (a Halloween party but with only anime costumes) and watching different Japanese cartoons.

Mrs. Beagle and student council treasurer Connor McNamara (12) agree how important clubs and sports are. “Research shows that students who participate have higher GPAs than those who don’t,” Mrs. Beagle said. “Clubs and sports are a great way to find people who share your same interest,” McNamara added. To find out more about each of these clubs and all the others, check the “clubs” tab under the bulletin.

Extracurricular activities are important as it is there, not in classes, that students on club councils learn responsibility, learn to communicate effectively, and meet lifelong friends.