The Pros and Cons of Summer School

Attending summer school can allow a student to get ahead in their education and focus solely on a few classes at a time. On the contrary, it can set students back financially, and inconveniently get in the way of summer activities such as camp or vacation.  As we eagerly approach summer and start to wrap up the the school year, many of us put studying aside and overlook the pros and cons of attending summer school. Although it takes planning and short term sacrifice, it can allow you get ahead of the pack and and gain long term freedom.

Summer school has many hidden benefits that would appeal to almost every high school student. A simple, yet effective one is being able to focus on one or a few subjects at a time. During the school year, students get easily overwhelmed with the workload of about six different classes, and tend to struggle throughout the year. According to ASCD.org, about 40 percent of students fail one or more classes during the school year. The large amount of classes can tend to hinder your overall grades, as you simply can’t put all of your attention to just a few. Fortunately, however, the solution to this problem is summer school. If a student struggles in a core academic class such as math or literature, they can take just those classes over the summer. This allows them to put all of their efforts on just one or two subjects. Studying then becomes more easy, and completing tests and assignments will not be as overwhelming.

Also, you can choose to take more laid back classes such as electives, or subjects that you find easy. Regardless of the classes you take, summer school will give one the option of having a lighter schedule the next year, or to get ahead in school and graduate early. According to Daniel Klebanov, a current student at University of Illinois, “Summer school allowed me to get electives out of the way so I can focus on AP courses throughout the school year. Due to focusing on just AP classes and getting lots of credits, I was able to knock off one and a half years of college.” As demonstrated by Daniel, summer school can give you many opportunities within your schooling.

In contrast, summer school can cause various potential setbacks. First of all, summer school is not free. It can costs students a few hundred dollars per class, which can quickly add up and become very expensive. Along with the finances involved, summer school will require you to attend class for a few hours each day for a good portion of the summer. This can cause you to miss out on summer activities you may have wanted to be apart of. Finally, one will need to dedicate time to completing assignments and studying for tests. This will require far more discipline than taking a regular class as part of the regular school year. Study.com states that, Summer, to many, is about relieving school anxiety and cutting loose for a while.” That being said, it will take a high initiative to want to do classes over the summer.

Ultimately, Summer school is an interesting thing to consider for every student. It can be very beneficial in your school career, and can open up a wide range of opportunities. It is also important to account for the fees and time it will take to complete. All in all, it is a unique enrichment that may pay dividends in the future.